Friday, July 7, 2017

Summer Time!

This has been a quiet summer in Nowlinville. Mr. Nowlin and I have both been working a lot in our garden, as well as at a community garden in the Northeast. We both enjoy getting out in the dirt and watching our plants grow. In a few days, we are going to have a HUGE crop of tomatoes, and I am looking forward to canning them so that we have tomatoes during the winter.

Even though I am an adult, I know that I still need to keep up on my reading. Adults need to read too?!?! Well, yes, it helps me to keep my mind active, it builds my vocabulary, it gives me an opportunity to get books for the library that I think my students might like, and...well...it is FUN! I enjoy getting caught up in a great book! Before I know it, I am so involved in the story that I am reading, and imagining that I am one of the characters. It almost feels like going on vacation.

I just finished a really good book that I bought for the library last year. It is called The Secret of Goldenrod, by Jane O'Reilly.






I have been reading this for quite a while, actually. I started reading it on my Ipad in the Axis 360 app where you can read all of the library's ebooks. When school got out and all of the books got returned to the library, I decided to finish the story by reading the paper book.

This is kind of a long book, which is probably why it took me so long to read it. I am not a super fast reader, and I did not have time to sit down and read it all at one time, so it took me several weeks to finish it. The story is about an old house named Goldenrod and a girl named Trina that goes to live in Goldenrod. Everyone in the town thinks that Goldenrod is haunted, but Trina discovers that Goldenrod is just very lonely and wants a family to live in it again. Trina finds a beautiful doll that helps her to learn more about the house, as well as more about herself.

Some people would probably consider this a girl book because the main character is a girl, and their are dolls in it. I imagine that the girls would probably enjoy it the most, but if you like books that have mystery and intrigue, and suspicious haunted houses, even boys might like reading this book. It would probably be most interesting to 4th and 5th graders because it talks about growing up and learning about yourself as you grow up.

If you would like to check it out before school starts, stop by one of the local public libraries for a copy. Don't forget to keep reading what YOU like to read. Even though it is summer, you can still keep learning just by picking up a book.

See you in a few weeks!

Mrs. Nowlin





No comments:

Post a Comment